Diane regularly advises privately held corporations and their boards of directors and shareholders as well as family held businesses. She has significant experience acting for local businesses active in manufacturing, automotive, and other industries, and farming and agricultural businesses, and the related land and real property uses associated with such businesses.
Her areas of expertise include corporate reorganizations, purchases and sales of assets, purchase and sale of shares of corporations, commercial lease matters, and banking and security based transactions. As part of her solicitor’s practice, she also does Estate Planning including Trusts, Wills, and Powers of Attorney, and the administration of Estates for both her business clients and private individuals. Diane also concentrates on advising both employers and employees on a myriad of employment matters, whether it be notice pay or termination pay issues, non competition or non solicitation matters, preparation or review of employment contracts, and human rights issues. Lastly, she has a large and active personal Real Estate practice, which includes both residential and commercial purchase and sales, mortgages, severances and development.
Diane holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Trent University and a Bachelor of Laws degree from Queen’s University. She was called to the bar in 1988, has been practising law for over 28 years now, and has been a partner of SV Law since 1995. She was the first female partner of SV Law and now enjoys seeing others following on the same career path.
Diane moved to Guelph 30 years ago, married, and now has three grown daughters. Personally, she likes to stay active in athletics, particularly golf, tennis, women’s hockey and equestrian riding. She is also active in the Guelph and area community: in the past, she has been on the Board of Directors for the Guelph Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors of the Guelph General Hospital Foundation, the Board of Directors of Zonta Club of Guelph and Rotary Club of Guelph Trillium, the Board of Directors of the Guelph Girls Hockey Association, the Board of Directors of the Guelph Business Enterprise Centre and is the former President of the Canadian Federation of University Women, Guelph Chapter, and a member of the Guelph Pony Club. Presently, Diane is a Director on the Board of Farm and Food Care Canada, is on the Board of Directors of the Guelph Community Foundation and sits as a Director on the Board of the Ontario Turfgrass Research Institute.
- Farm and Food Care Foundation, Board of Directors
- Guelph Community Foundation, Board of Directors
- Guelph Turfgrass Institute, Board of Directors
- Guelph Business Enterprise Centre, Past Board of Directors
- Guelph Chamber of Commerce, Past Board of Directors
- Guelph General Hospital Foundation, Past Board of Directors
- Guelph Girls Hockey Association, Past Board Member
- Rotary Club of Guelph Trillium, Past Member
- Trent University Alumni Association
- Zonta Club of Guelph, Past Board of Directors
- Law Society of Upper Canada, participant in Justica Summit 2010 – 2013
- Canadian Federation of University Women - Guelph Chapter, Former President, 2000